Keyway Types

Notice the subtle differences to the key-ways.



I got a call the other day to go and do some repair work on a house that I had previously re-keyed, the type of locks that were on the house were Schlage. Upon my arrival I was greeted by the owner.

We then went into his garage which were explained one of the problems to me, the door going from the garage into the house at lever locks on it and the knob itself had jammed so we could not open the door. I went to the car and got my screwdrivers to go inside to take the inside handle of the lock off when I did I tried to open the latch using the flat screwdriver and found the one I had was too small so it went back out to the car and got a bigger one, applying much more force than was really necessary to open the lock I got the latch opened. I removed the broken latch and started to replace with the new one he had purchased.


He was going to replace the lever type lock with the standard knob, he explained his children had played with the lever knobs and were making the handles loose. He also handed me a Kwikset deadbolt and wanted to know if I could put that on the door and re-key it to the same key as the rest of the house.

I explained to him that the key ways were different and unless he wanted to use two keys to get in the door from the garage I would not be able to do it. Many people have asked me this same question, some houses have a mixture of Kwikset and Schlage type locks on them and they want to know if they can all be re-keyed to the same key.

I tell them no, because a Kwikset key will not fit in a Schlage lock nor will the Schlage key fit in a Kwikset lock.





2 comments:

Gordon Stubbs Locksmith said...

This post i really great to know this informative idea is what i am looking for Thanks for this.

Unknown said...

An impressive post regardingLocksmith OKC. I just gave this to a colleague who is doing a little analysis on this topic. And he is very happy and thanking me for finding it. But all thanks to you for writing in such simple words. Big thumb up for this blog post!